Obama’s Ex-Church Focuses on Social Justice
*Trinity United Church of Christ hasn’t changed its priorities.
However, four years after the Protestant church on Chicago’s South Side came under siege during the 2008 presidential campaign, it faces fewer distractions, says the Chicago Tribune.
Now, as Trinity’s most famous former member, President Barack Obama, seeks re-election to the White House, the Rev. Otis Moss III is seeking to renew the church’s vision for its surrounding neighborhoods and enlarge its definition of social justice.
This month, the church is rolling out its plans for Imani Village, a 27-acre community next door to Chicago State University. The property is now occupied by a charter school. Church members hope to build sustainable housing, an urban farming and agricultural center, retail stores, community health centers and an NCAA-certified sports complex.
“We’ve moved into a completely different mode of developing a sustainable, green ministry, recognizing that green is the new area of social justice for our community,” said Moss, Trinity’s senior pastor, in an interview with the Chicago Tribune. “People would be able to raise their children in a unique and affirming, powerful environment. Send them to preschool, and send them to college next door.”
Read the full story at the Chicago Tribune.
Like what you see? Share it!
Did you find this interesting? You can easily share it with friends & colleagues thanks to a wide variety of social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, LinkIn, Delicious, StumbleUpon, or Tumblr... just to name a few. You can also send this via e-mail or bookmark it!
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- From Prison to Praise
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)