Ebenezer Baptist Church Preacher Fights Against Death Penalty
*One of Atlanta’s prominent religious leaders took to the pulpit Sunday and argued that that the battle against the death penalty should not die with last week’s execution of convicted cop killer Troy Davis, says the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The Rev. Raphael Warnock called on congregants at Ebenezer Baptist Church to live their faith through both justice and mercy.
Both were absent, he said, when the state executed Davis Wednesday for the 1989 murder of police officer Mark MacPhail in Savannah.
“I’m afraid the word justice has fallen out of the American Christian lexicon,” Warnock said. “That’s how people can worship God on Sunday and break out in applause the next week when they hear how many people have been executed.”
Davis’ case had been reviewed by both state and federal courts for fairness for 20 years. The U.S. Supreme Court had taken the extraordinary step of assigning U.S. District Judge William T. Moore to scrutinize the witness testimony to determine whether it raised substantial questions about Davis’ guilt. Moore concluded unequivocally in a 174-page ruling that it did not.
“Mr. Davis vastly overstates the value of his evidence of innocence,” Moore wrote.
Warnock said he believed that Davis was innocent. But even if Davis were not, the reverend said the execution did not allow for mercy, which the Board of Pardons and Paroles also denied.
“Mercy reaches beyond the limit of justice,” Warnock said. “Where the law was limited, the Board could have done what was right. They did not do their job.”
Church member Brenda Davenport agreed, noting that no consideration was given for whether Davis was a different man this week than the man convicted of the crime.
Read more at the Atlantic Journal Constitution.
Like what you see? Share it!
Did you find this interesting? You can easily share it with friends & colleagues thanks to a wide variety of social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, LinkIn, Delicious, StumbleUpon, or Tumblr... just to name a few. You can also send this via e-mail or bookmark it!
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- TV BUZZ: Watch Extended Clips of The Pace Sisters on 'Iyanla: Fix My Life'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- She Died Instantly: Why You Should Live Well
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act Introduced in House, Senate
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop: ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- RUMOR CONTROL: Kirk Franklin of Saginaw Commits Suicide, Not Kirk Franklin of Gospel
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Stretching Leads to Enlargement