Bishop Hamel Hartford (HH) Brookins Dies at 86
Bishop Brookins died Tuesday, May 22 at noon in Los Angeles. Bishop Brookins was born in Yazoo City, Mississippi. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Wilberforce University in Ohio and a Bachelor of Divinity degree from Payne Seminary. Prior to his election as a bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Bishop Brookins served as the pastor of First AME Church of Los Angeles, California leading the congregation through the building of a multi-‐million dollar cathedral at its present location on Harvard Boulevard in Los Angeles.
In 2002 Former President Bill Clinton joined a host of religious luminaries, elected officials and celebrities in a tribute to Bishop Hamel Hartford Brookins, the son of Mississippi sharecroppers who rose to become a Los Angeles and international champion of black political empowerment. Clinton praised Brookins, for his civil rights legacy and reminisced about the days when the clergyman ministered in a country church in Arkansas when Clinton was governor.
“I still can’t quite get used to the fact that you’re wearing purple,” he said at the Beverly Hilton event, referring to Brookins’ status as a bishop. “And I got to be president,” he added.”I learned a lot by your side, had a lot of good times. But my heart will always be with you, because in sunshine and in rain, you were always with me,” the former president said. “You helped me make the country a more free, better and united place.”
Brookins, a bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal church for 30 years, is best known here as the former leader of First AME Church, which he served 13 years. His activism began in the 1950s when, as a clergyman in Topeka, Kan., he helped implement a desegregation plan ordered by the U.S. Supreme Court in the groundbreaking Brown vs. Board of Education case. In 1965 he worked to quell the Watts riots. He was an architect of Tom Bradley’s campaigns for Los Angeles mayor and, while working in Africa, was ousted from Rhodesia because of his work on behalf of the Zimbabwe liberation movement. In 1981 Zimbabwe invited him back for its first presidential inauguration. A founding member of Jesse Jackson’s economic activist organization, Operation PUSH, Brookins also worked in Jackson’s presidential campaigns. He developed a friendship with Clinton while assigned to his denomination’s Oklahoma-‐Arkansas district in the ’80s, when Clinton was governor. Brookins is credited with laying the foundation for First AME Church of Los Angeles political power and community and international influence which continues to serve the preeminent mega-‐church today. In a prepared statement, his wife, the Rev. Rosalynn Kyle Brookins, pastor of Walker Temple AME Church in Los Angeles, said that the services for her husband would be a reflection of his life and service to the world. Together they have one son, Sir-‐Wellington Hartford Brookins and two step children, Mr. Steven Hartford Brookins and Rev. Francine A. Brookins. His family and numerous friends were at his bedside when he died.
First African Methodist Episcopal Church, Los Angeles is the oldest church founded by African Americans in the City of Angels. In 1872 Ms. Biddy Mason received the vision from God to establish a church that would minister to the mind, body and soul of all who would join that small band of believers. That vision and small band of believers has grown to what is now a congregation of more than 19,000 members and several dozen ministries within 13 corporations that bless and reach tens of thousands of seekers in greater metropolitan Los Angeles.
Like what you see? Share it!
Did you find this interesting? You can easily share it with friends & colleagues thanks to a wide variety of social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, LinkIn, Delicious, StumbleUpon, or Tumblr... just to name a few. You can also send this via e-mail or bookmark it!
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Stretching Leads to Enlargement
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty