Southern Baptist Leader Backtracks After Trayvon Comments
The religious institution’s leader, Richard Land, issued an apology for a disturbing remark regarding Trayvon Martin, accusing the president and other black leaders of exploiting the young man’s death for their own political gain.
“I am writing to express my deep regret for any hurt or misunderstanding my comments about the Trayvon Martin case have generated,” Richard Land wrote in letter to Southern Baptist Convention President Bryant Wright. “It grieves me to hear that any comments of mine have to any degree set back the cause of racial reconciliation in Southern Baptist or American life.”
He also apologized for not explaining to listeners to his radio show, that some of his comments were quotes from the Washington Times.
One blogger, Aaron Weaver, called him out on the carpet accusing him of plagiarism.
“He’s a pretty articulate guy,” Weaver said. But Weaver said he also found it troubling because Land, as president of the SBC’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission for 23 years, is the denomination’s ethicist.
Land issued a statement on Monday calling the lack of attribution an oversight. He said there was no attempt to deceive his listeners and that he always provides links to his source material on his website.
“I am grateful this oversight was brought to my attention. One can always do better and I certainly pledge to do so,” the statement reads.
Yeah right, whatever.
Like what you see? Share it!
Did you find this interesting? You can easily share it with friends & colleagues thanks to a wide variety of social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, LinkIn, Delicious, StumbleUpon, or Tumblr... just to name a few. You can also send this via e-mail or bookmark it!
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- TV BUZZ: Watch Extended Clips of The Pace Sisters on 'Iyanla: Fix My Life'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- She Died Instantly: Why You Should Live Well
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act Introduced in House, Senate
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop: ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- RUMOR CONTROL: Kirk Franklin of Saginaw Commits Suicide, Not Kirk Franklin of Gospel
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom