Singer Joe ‘Chokin’ Kind’ Simon Dead? Not Yet!
by Larry Buford
*Former rhythm & blues singer/legend Joe Simon– known for such hits as “Drowning In The Sea Of Love,” “Chokin’ Kind,” “Misty Blue,” and “Power Of Love” – narrowly escaped death as he recently underwent quadruple bypass surgery.
He said “I was working in the studio…nobody knew what I was feeling. I didn’t tell my family or friends…but my heart did hurt and I could feel pain in both of my arms.”
Simon who is now an ordained minister – Bishop Joe Simon– says he never smoked, and could not get into the alcohol/drugs scene when he was popular out there on the tour circuit. He was living a clean and healthy life but says as he was out walking his dog he would be taking three steps forward and two steps back. He said he felt like the bands of the transmission on a car were slipping and putting him in neutral. Aches, chest pains and shortness of breath continued for weeks, but he continued working and going on road trips with his ministry.
About a month ago in early March, after trying different over-the-counter medications, one day he called his wife Melinee and said “Mello, come take me to the hospital…I’m having severe chest pain.” She told him she was on her way and was going to call 911, but he insisted on not having an ambulance to keep the matter private. She arrived and took him to a local hospital emergency unit. After an evaluation he was transferred to the Illinois Loyola University Medical Center where specialists in heart and vascular medicine tended to him. His wife Melinee explains, “While the doctors were going over the details of open heart surgery, Joe cut them off and said…”Let’s get it on…my faith is in God, the one who created you.” His life and disposition in the balance he added, “Nothing happens without the consent of my wife and kids.”
Looking back Simon realizes that his heart was giving him distress signals long before he sought medical help. He says, “Nobody has time for a heart attack, but I know now I should have paid attention much sooner.”
Simon says he is grateful for the medical care he received at Loyola. He’s already advanced in his rehabilitation program and understands the challenges ahead, but ever the optimist he says, “When I tell my [full] story, it will help people see that God is with them and looks after them…but I’ll also tell them that when their heart speaks they need to pay attention.” As of this report, Simon appears to be doing just fine.
Larry Buford is a Los Angeles-based freelance writer. Author of “Things Are Gettin’ Outta Hand” (Steuben Pub) www.amazon.com. Available at Smiley’s Bookstore in Carson CA, Skylight Books, Los Angeles, and Chaucer’s in Santa Barbara CA. Visit the author at www.larrybuford.com. (213) 220-8101.
Like what you see? Share it!
Did you find this interesting? You can easily share it with friends & colleagues thanks to a wide variety of social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, LinkIn, Delicious, StumbleUpon, or Tumblr... just to name a few. You can also send this via e-mail or bookmark it!
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- TV BUZZ: Watch Extended Clips of The Pace Sisters on 'Iyanla: Fix My Life'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- She Died Instantly: Why You Should Live Well
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act Introduced in House, Senate
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop: ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- RUMOR CONTROL: Kirk Franklin of Saginaw Commits Suicide, Not Kirk Franklin of Gospel
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty