The Church’s Perspective About the Death of Trayvon Martin
*John Piper writes …
Racial tensions continue to rise just as I prepare to go to New York next week to talk with Anthony Bradley and Tim Keller about race and the Christian.
I watched a video on Wednesday of an African American pastor who said that recently he was denied service at a convenience store. The woman behind the counter said, “We don’t serve your kind.” That’s 2012 not 1962.
From Miami to New York to the Twin Cities frustration over the Trayvon Martin case grows. Seventeen year old Martin was killed on February 26 in Sanford, Florida by George Zimmerman. Martin was black. Zimmerman is Hispanic.
Zimmerman was a volunteer neighborhood watchman in a gated community, armed with a semiautomatic handgun. Martin was unarmed. Zimmerman claims self-defense.
What has enflamed this situation are the pieces that simply don’t add up. Zimmerman is a hundred pounds bigger and ten years older. He had the gun, not Martin. Reportedly he has been arrested before on assault charges. As he was following Martin in his truck, he called 911 and was told “we don’t need you to do that.” The police were on the way. But Zimmerman followed him anyway. His comments on the 911 recording (I listened to them) suggested possible racial frustration that “they always get away.” Martin’s call to his girlfriend suggested he was troubled by being followed. Not all the witnesses corroborate Zimmerman’s story.
Read the full story at BCNN1.
Like what you see? Share it!
Did you find this interesting? You can easily share it with friends & colleagues thanks to a wide variety of social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, LinkIn, Delicious, StumbleUpon, or Tumblr... just to name a few. You can also send this via e-mail or bookmark it!
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- From Prison to Praise
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’