For First Time, the Bible Is Being Translated Into Jamaican Patois
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
In its report, by Robert Pigott, BBC News religious affairs correspondent,the BBC said that in the Spanish Town Tabernacle near the capital, Kingston, the congregation is hearing the word of God in the language of the street for the first time.
At the front of the concrete-block church, a young man and woman read alternate lines from the Bible. This is the Gospel of St Luke in Jamaican patois -- or more precisely, "Jiizas - di buk we Luuk rait bout im."
The sound of the creole, developed from English by West African slaves in Jamaica's sugar plantations 400 years ago, has an electrifying effect on those listening, the BBC said.
Several women rose to testify, in patois, to what it means to hear the Bible in their mother tongue.
"It's almost as if you are seeing it," says a woman, referring to the moment when Jesus is tempted by the Devil. "In the blink of an eye, you get the whole notion. It's as though you are watching a movie... it brings excitement to the word of God."
The Rev Courtney Stewart, General Secretary of the West Indies Bible Society, who has managed the translation project, insists the new Bible demonstrates the power of patois, and cited a line from Luke as an example.
It's the moment when the Angel Gabriel goes to Mary to tell her she is going to give birth to Jesus.
English versions read along these lines: "And having come in, the angel said to her, 'Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you: blessed are you among women.'"
"Now compare that with our translation of the Bible," says Stewart.
"De angel go to Mary and say to 'er, me have news we going to make you well 'appy. God really, really, bless you and him a walk with you all de time."
Source: Assist News | Michael Ireland
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- From Prison to Praise
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)