Do Laws Defining Personhood Help the Unborn?
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
"They do help the unborn, because whether those kind of amendments win or lose with the voters, they expose voters to the truth. It creates a discussion in the public about what is the unborn child? Are they human life? If they are human life, do they deserve the same rights as the rest of us--the right to live, of course, being the chief right among those? So I don't believe whether they help the unborn is based on the success of the amendment, but rather does it cause a discussion, does it make people think about it, does it put the truth out there? And I think yes, it does all of those things."
Kristi Burton Brown, spokesperson, 2008 Colorado Personhood Amendment
"Of course laws specifying that a new human being comes into existence when fertilization takes place help the unborn. It's a way of publicly saying that, however weak and vulnerable this tiny human organism may be, it is one of us. Our lives begin in weakness and dependence and, of course, often end there as well. But from zygote to irreversible coma we remain equally human. We should be glad whenever the law acknowledges this."
Gilbert Meilaender, professor of theology, Valparaiso University
"There is a sound scientific basis for calling the unborn 'human beings.' The debate remains whether it is warranted ethically or legally not to protect the lives of some human beings as much as we protect the lives of others, because of some characteristic they lack. But we can't engage in an honest debate about that if we are not clear that we are discussing human beings with different characteristics, not humans vs. non-humans--hence the value of laws defining personhood."
John Kilner, professor of bioethics, Trinity International University
Click here to read more
Source: Christianity Today | Compiled by Ruth Moon
|Comments | RSS ||
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- She Died Instantly: Why You Should Live Well
- TV BUZZ: Watch Extended Clips of The Pace Sisters on 'Iyanla: Fix My Life'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act Introduced in House, Senate
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop: ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- RUMOR CONTROL: Kirk Franklin of Saginaw Commits Suicide, Not Kirk Franklin of Gospel
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty
- HOOKUP CULTURE: Many Youth Regret It, Some Speaking Out Against It
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations