Eagles Coach Andy Reid's Oldest Son Found Dead
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
The police chief at Lehigh, Edward Shupp, said a 911 call was made at 7:20 a.m., and that Garrett Reid was dead when a policeman arrived at the campus dormitory. A cause of death has not been determined.
''There were no suspicious activities,'' Shupp said.
The 29-year-old Reid struggled with drug abuse for years and was imprisoned for a 2007 high-speed car crash in which another driver was injured. Police found heroin, which Reid admitted to using, and more than 200 pills in his car. When he surrendered to begin serving his sentence in that case, prison guards found Reid had tried to smuggle prescription pills into jail.
Reid seemed to have rebounded from his problems in recent times and was assisting the Eagles' strength coaches at camp. Many of the coaches and staff stay in the Lehigh dorms.
In the midst of his legal troubles in his early 20s, Reid said he ''got a thrill'' out of being a drug dealer in a lower-income neighborhood just a few miles from his parents' suburban Villanova mansion.
''I liked being the rich kid in that area and having my own high-status life,'' Reid told a probation officer, according to court testimony in November 2007. ''I could go anywhere in the 'hood. They all knew who I was. I enjoyed it. I liked being a drug dealer.''
At his sentencing hearing, Reid told the judge: ''I don't want to die doing drugs. I don't want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD'd and just faded into oblivion.''
His younger brother, Britt, also had problems with drug use and was arrested on the same day as Garrett in 2007 for a road-rage encounter. Police discovered weapons and drugs in Britt Reid's vehicle.
The Eagles practiced Sunday morning after gathering for a team prayer, but Andy Reid was not present. Assistants Marty Mornhinweg and Juan Castillo ran the team's walkthrough and will oversee the Eagles until Reid returns.
The afternoon session Sunday was to go on. However, owner Jeffery Lurie canceled his annual state of the team address.
''This news is heartbreaking for everyone in the Eagles family,'' Lurie said in a statement. ''Our hearts go out to Andy, his wife, Tammy, and their children.''
Expressions of sympathy came from everywhere around the league.
''My condolences go out to Coach Reid and his family,'' quarterback Michael Vick tweeted. ''Stay strong and we LOVE you coach.''
Said Commissioner Roger Goodell: ''We are deeply saddened by the news about Garrett Reid. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy, Tammy and their family. We will support them and the Eagles in any way we can through this difficult time.''
Authorities had few details about Garrett Reid's death.
''What I can tell you is this morning we were contacted by the Lehigh campus police department and (were) requested to respond for the discovery of a deceased male,'' said Northampton County coroner Zachary Lysek. ''We are conducting an investigation with the cooperation of the Lehigh campus police department and I personally pronounced Mr. Reid deceased at the scene.''
Andy Reid, a father of five, took a leave of absence from the Eagles during the 2007 offseason to spend more time with his family.
Reid is in his 14th season in Philadelphia. He's led the Eagles to nine playoff appearances, six NFC East titles, five conference championship games and one Super Bowl loss.
''We've been with Andy for a long time. He's always been strong for us; we're going to be strong for him right now,'' Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said. ''As a father and a friend, we're all hurting.''
Source: The AP
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- Teddy and Tina Campbell Ask Fans to Fast and Pray for their Marriage
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th Birthday Celebration (Watch)
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th B-day Bash (Watch)
- Congresswoman Hahn Honored by National Bible Association
- The Pulse of Entertainment: OWN Airs Scripted Series Produced by Tyler Perry May 28-29
- After His ‘Cheating’ Advice, Pat Robertson Needs to Sit Down Somewhere