WATCH: The War We Don't Hear Much About - Muslims Against Muslims in Syria
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
Grainy cell phone video, brutal fighting, Islamic shouts, and failed negotiations mark the 17-month long Syrian uprising.
"What is happening in Syria is that [President] Bashar Assad and his Alawite elite are fighting a war of self-survival, self-preservation against what is essentially a Sunni revolt against them," Dore Gold, director of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, told CBN News.
This revolt pits Sunni against Shiite.
"The strategic fault line of conflict in the region [is] between the Iran-led regional block on the one hand and, I would say, the Sunni block -- the Sunni group of states, including Saudi Arabia," Gold said.
Jonathan Spyer, a senior research fellow at the Global Research in International Affairs Center, told CBN News "that fault line right now is running through Syria."
The line splits the Middle East into two large Islamic camps. The larger one includes the Sunni nations of Egypt, Turkey, the Gulf States -- and the epicenter of Sunni Islam, Saudi Arabia.
Iran leads the Shiite Islam group, which includes its proxy, Hezbollah, in Lebanon and Syria.
While Assad and much of his regime technically belong to a sect called Alawite, they align themselves with Shiite Islam.
So with both groups calling themselves Muslims, why do they fight each other? The answer goes back to the beginning of Islam.
"The Shiites believe that Islam should have been led from the very beginning by a caliph who came from the family of the prophet himself, in fact from the family of the cousin of the prophet called Ali," Hebrew University Prof. Moshe Sharon, a world-renowned expert on Islam, explained.
"The Sunnis believe that the caliph, namely the leader of the Islamic community, the 'Commander of the Faithful,' should be elected from the community," he said.
This theological disagreement led to the great Islamic divide.
"Of course [it] developed during the years and there was tremendous enmity and tremendous hatred between the two parts," Sharon said.
That hatred is now being fought on Syrian soil.
"It's a very dramatic development, and it's a reflection of this main struggle in the Middle East today," Gold explained.
Source: CBN News | Chris Mitchell
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- From Prison to Praise
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)