Just as He Revived His Church After Hurricane Katrina, Fred Luter Hopes for Similar Revival Within the Southern Baptist Convention
Pastor Fred Luter, Jr., made history on June 19 when members of the Southern Baptist Convention elected him president. He's now the first African American to lead the nation's largest evangelical denomination.
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
Luter spoke with CBN News just hours after his term began to reflect the on the emotional victory.
"When all those folks stood up I started thinking about my great, great ancestors. What are they thinking now? And guys that were trail blazers in this convention before I was," he told CBN News.
Luter, a descendant of slaves, now leads an organization that supported slavery and segregation when it started 167 years ago.
Despite that past, he said his eyes are fixed on the future. And Luter's top priority is growing Southern Baptist membership.
Although still the largest with just under 16 million messengers, Southern Baptists have seen five consecutive years of decline. Luter plans to reach out to his predecessors and other pastors for help turning things around.
"I have a two-year window here. I can't do everything I want to do," he said. "But I want to do something to change this decline in baptisms and membership. How can I help you all to pull off what you pull off to make it work, to impact this country, to impact the churches?"
From 'Disaster to Dancing'
Luter brings significant experience in turning things around. He pastors Franklin Avenue Baptist Church in New Orleans, where he's witnessed his congregation revive twice.
There were only 65 people on the membership roll at Franklin Avenue when Luter arrived to lead the church in 1986. The church was shrinking as the urban community was changing from predominately white to predominately black.
The head of Southern Baptist missions doubted Luter would be able to turn things around.
"He told me this, and I quote, he said, 'Son, you are not my choice for this church. But evidently these people want you, so this is my job description for you: you either resurrect this church, or we are going to bury it,'" Luter recalled.
"I looked at him and I said, 'Sir, I know New Orleans is known for our jazz funerals, but I am in no mood for a funeral. We are going to resurrect this church,'" he continued.
With time and effort, Luter saw the church grow to more than 8,000 congregants. But many of those members were forced to flee the city in 2005, as Hurricane Katrina poured more than nine feet of water into their sanctuary.
It then took two years to reopen the doors.
"I never will forget my sermon was from the book of Habakkuk. And my title was 'From Disaster to Dancing.' And I literally danced across this pulpit," Luter said.
That dance celebrated more than his return to the church. Luter and his congregation also helped restore more than 30 homes in the community. The accomplishment led to a memorable lunch meeting with President George W. Bush at New Orleans' famous Dooky Chase Restaurant.
"He had strawberry shortcake and I had pecan pie, which is my favorite desert, and I guess he saw me enjoying it," Luter reminisced.
"And he said, 'Is it really that good?' And the president of the United States of America took his fork without even asking my permission and said, 'Let me try that' and took some of my pecan pie," he said.
"That is a moment I will never forget," he added.
SOURCE: CBN News
Read more Church After Hurricane Katr" href="http://www.blackchristiannews.com/news/2012/06/just-as-he-revived-his-church-after-hurricane-katrina-fred-luter-hopes-for-similar-revival-within-th.html" >http://www.blackchristiannews.com/news/2012/06/just-as-he-revived-his-church-after-hurricane-katrina-fred-luter-hopes-for-similar-revival-within-th.html
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- Teddy and Tina Campbell Ask Fans to Fast and Pray for their Marriage
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th Birthday Celebration (Watch)
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th B-day Bash (Watch)
- Congresswoman Hahn Honored by National Bible Association
- The Pulse of Entertainment: OWN Airs Scripted Series Produced by Tyler Perry May 28-29