For Greater Glory : New Film is a Rallying Cry for Religious Freedom
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
The film, "For Greater Glory," hits theaters on June 1 and tells a little known chapter of Mexican history -- the Cristero War of 1926 to 1929, which pitted an army of devout Catholic rebels (led in the movie by Andy Garcia) against the government of Mexican President Plutarco Calles (played by Ruben Blades).
For Catholics enraged by the Obama administration's proposed contraception mandate, the film about the Mexican church's fight in 1920s is a heartening and timely cinematic boost in the American church's battle to preserve "religious freedom" in 2012.
For other Catholics and non-Catholics, the film is, more simply, action, suspense and a good cast. Besides Garcia and Blades, there's "Desperate Housewives" star Eva Longoria and the legendary actor Peter O'Toole.
Endorsements for the film from Catholic leaders explicitly connect it to the current clash between church and state.
"'For Greater Glory' is 'must-see' viewing for all those who care about faith and liberty today," wrote Carl A. Anderson, the Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus, which put the film on the cover of its members' magazine.
"It is a top-flight production whose message of the importance of religious freedom has particular resonance for us today," added Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez.
Mexican real estate developer Pablo Jose Barroso, the devout Catholic who produced the film, was asked by the National Catholic Register if the film's release -- coinciding with the current activism on religious freedom -- was "God's timing."
"This is the perfect time for this film," he said.
Barroso, who has produced other faith-based films, lamented that the official onslaught against the Catholic Church in Mexico, and the Cristero rebellion, is little known even in Mexico. State law shuttered churches and curtailed the administration of the sacraments. Anti-Catholic fervor led to the deportation and murder of priests.
SOURCE: Lauren Markoe | Religion News Service
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- From Prison to Praise
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)