WATCH: Michael Eric Dyson Apologizes for Calling Roland Martin, Jamal Bryant, and Sophia Nelson Sexual Rednecks and Bigots Because They Do Not Believe In Homosexual Marriage
Michael Eric Dyson Takes a Can-Whipping from Sophia Nelson
Very few people can handle the brain power and talent of arguing points like Michael Eric Dyson. But Sophia Nelson, in her own Godly, Christian, feminine style made defeating the giant Dyson look easy.
President Barack Obama's endorsement of gay marriage has touched off a debate within the African-American community, with black churchgoers and pastors taking sides over an issue some call a question of civil rights, and others say is a matter of Biblical truth.
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
That debate spilled onto the airwaves and Twitter last Thursday, when Michael Eric Dyson, an MSNBC contributor and Georgetown University professor, called out what he called "sexual rednecks" in the black church, who oppose equal marriage rights for gays and lesbians -- and he named names: Roland Martin of TV One, Baltimore pastor Rev. Jamal Bryant, who has said he felt "jilted" by the president's support for gay marriage, and Sophia Nelson, an author and contributor to theGrio.
On Wednesday, Nelson got the opportunity to respond, when she and Dyson appeared together on the "Ed Schultz Show" on MSNBC. Dyson began by apologizing for calling out his friends by name.
"First of all I want to apologize to Sophia and Jamal and Roland," Dyson said, "In a fit of passion, I called out my friends, in the spirit of love, to say that, hey, we can do better than this and I shouldn't have called their names if they weren't here to defend themselves."
Dyson said he "conflated two issues: the marriage equality which is very serious and a significant issue on the one hand, and the lack homophobia as I perceived it within black communities. Homophobia is not something that's endemic to black people, it's across the globe, so to speak, but in this case, black homophobia fuels, I think, the beliefs about gay and lesbian people and whether or not they can get married."
Nelson responded by calling Dyson her friend and "brother in Christ," and "I forgive you, I thank you for that and we're gonna learn, and show people how to act as Christians."
SOURCE: The Grio
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Kirk Franklin Lands New BET Hosting Gig
- Tasha Cobbs’ Hit Anthem ‘Break Every Chain’ is #1 on Billboard’s Hot Gospel Songs Chart
- Blind Legal Activist Chen Guangcheng Confirms Chinese Government Has Pressured NYU to Boot Him Out
- Author Kimberla Lawson Roby Greets Fans Across the Globe
- Alveda King: Let Babies and Mothers Off Abortion Bus
- Constitutional Amendment Introduced to Protect Children, Parents
- U.S. House Passes Bill to Protect Unborn in Sixth Month and Later; National Right to Life Commends Seven Georgia Lawmakers
- Church Security Expert Reacts to New Government Guidelines for Houses of Worship
- NBA Finals Game 7 Miami vs San Antonio