Google Revamps Search to Make It Think Like a Person
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
Google on Wednesday announced Knowledge Graph, a significant change to how search results are delivered that the company believes will make their search engine think more like a human.
"The web pages we [currently] return for the search 'kings,' they're all good," Jack Menzel, director of product management at Google, told CNN in an interview. "You, as a human, associate those words with their real-world meaning but, for a computer, they're just a random string of characters."
With Knowledge Graph, which will begin rolling out to some users immediately, results will be arranged according to categories with which the search term has been associated. So, in the above example, boxes will appear with separate results for the hockey team, basketball team and TV show.
The user can then click on one of those boxes to only get results for the specific topic they were searching.
"It hones your search results right in on the task that you're after," Menzel said.
More specific searches, say for the name of a celebrity, will render boxes with basic information, as well as links to what Google believes are possibly related searches.
Menzel says the initial version of Knowledge Graph has information on 500 million people, places and things and uses 3.5 billion defining attributes and connections to create categories for them.
The feature will begin rolling out as early as Wednesday afternoon for some users in the United States and eventually be available on desktop, mobile and tablet searches. It will first become available in English, then in other languages, Menzel said.
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- Teddy and Tina Campbell Ask Fans to Fast and Pray for their Marriage
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th Birthday Celebration (Watch)
- EUR on the Scene: Deitrick Haddon’s 40th B-day Bash (Watch)
- Congresswoman Hahn Honored by National Bible Association
- The Pulse of Entertainment: OWN Airs Scripted Series Produced by Tyler Perry May 28-29