Has Rev. Emmett Burns Changed his Mind on Obama Since Sunday?
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
On Sunday, the Rev. Emmett Burns, pastor and founder of Rising Sun First Baptist Church, publicly withdrew his support for the president, who said in a television interview last week that he believed gay Americans should have the right to marry. Burns, who has been a strong Obama supporter has been equally opposed to same-sex marriage and has been working to get a proposal to ban gay marriage on the November ballot.
"I love the president, but I cannot support what he has done," Burns said.
According to CNN, a Pew Research Center poll conducted in April found that 49 percent of black Americans opposed legalized same-sex marriage and 39 percent supported it, while 47 percent of whites supported gay marriage and 43 percent opposed it.
Many black pastors have played key roles around the country in the effort to ban same-sex marriage. About 30 states currently have such bans in place.
On Monday, however, Burns told BlackAmericaWeb.com that he decided to modify his stance after some reflection.
"I got a lot of calls from people who said that we should vote because voting rights were denied us for so long," said Burns, a protégé of the late civil rights icon Medgar Evers.
"I was so disappointed in the president last week that perhaps I spoke more than I really wanted to, but upon reflection, I analyzed my stance. I'm working diligently here in this state to get (an anti-same sex marriage referendum) on the November ballot and I'm confident we will win," Burns said.
"I'm also confident with my scriptural position and what it says in the Bible. On the other hand, black folks should vote and I encourage them to vote."
Burns said Monday that even if he had not initially suggested sitting out the November race, "I would not have voted for (presumptive Republican presidential nominee) Mitt Romney under any circumstances."
SOURCE: Jackie Jones, BlackAmericaWeb.com
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Kirk Franklin Lands New BET Hosting Gig
- Tasha Cobbs’ Hit Anthem ‘Break Every Chain’ is #1 on Billboard’s Hot Gospel Songs Chart
- Blind Legal Activist Chen Guangcheng Confirms Chinese Government Has Pressured NYU to Boot Him Out
- Author Kimberla Lawson Roby Greets Fans Across the Globe
- Alveda King: Let Babies and Mothers Off Abortion Bus
- Constitutional Amendment Introduced to Protect Children, Parents
- U.S. House Passes Bill to Protect Unborn in Sixth Month and Later; National Right to Life Commends Seven Georgia Lawmakers
- Church Security Expert Reacts to New Government Guidelines for Houses of Worship
- NBA Finals Game 7 Miami vs San Antonio