The End of President Obama's Evolution on Homosexual Marriage
Is President Obama's "evolution" on same sex marriage finally complete? His call for the legalization of same-sex marriage yesterday is an historic and tragic milestone. An incumbent President of the United States has now called for a transformation of civilization's central institution. And yet, no observer of this President could be surprised. The arrival of this announcement was only a matter of time.
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
The White House confirmed this within hours of the President's announcement. As The New York Times reported on May 10, "Advisers say now that Mr. Obama had intended since early this year to define his position sometime before Democrats nominate him for re-election in September."
Previous news reports indicated that the 2012 platform for the Democratic Party would likely include a call for same-sex marriage. The pressure was on the White House, with the President caught in an awkward and embarrassing situation in which major figures on both sides of the controversy believed that his public position did not reflect his true convictions.
In December of 2010, the President told Jake Tapper of ABC News, "My feelings about this are constantly evolving." Last October, he told George Stephanopoulos, "I'm still working on it." As Dan Amira of New York magazine summarized that comment, "President Obama won't say if he'll stop pretending to oppose gay marriage before the election."
In August of 2008, running for the White House, President Obama had said: "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian -- for me -- for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God's in the mix."
In February of 1996, running for state office in Illinois, Obama signed a letter to a homosexual newspaper in Chicago that included the statement, "I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages." So, his statement today puts him back where he was on the record as recently as 1996 -- calling for the legalization of same-sex marriage.
The President's position since 2008 has been untenable. Having endorsed same-sex marriage when running for office in 1996, he evidently changed his position as he ran for the U. S. Senate in 2004 and for President in 2008. Since then, his language and his actions have been contradictory. He has said that he opposes same-sex marriage, but he ordered his Attorney General not to defend the Defense of Marriage Act. Officials in his administration openly advocated same-sex marriage, even as the President dropped hint after hint that he did as well. The President found himself facing the fact that he would have to declare himself one way or the other on the question as the 2012 election unfolded -- so now we know.
Why now? The Washington Post reports that he was under intense pressure from many Democrats, including his major campaign fundraisers. According to the paper's report, one in six of the President's major "bundlers," or fundraisers, is a self-identified homosexual.
SOURCE: Dr. R. Albert Mohler, Jr., serves as president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary -- the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Stretching Leads to Enlargement
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty