Russia says 15,000 Foreign Terrorists in Syria
|Do You Like this Article? Then Like Us on Facebook.|
Russia is a staunch defender of Syria despite international condemnation of the crackdown by Assad's forces and evidence of human rights abuses against unarmed civilians.
Addressing a one-day humanitarian forum on Syria at the United Nations in Geneva, Russia's deputy ambassador Mikhail Lebedev said rebels had recently committed large-scale attacks against Syrian infrastructure, including schools and hospitals.
"Rebel groups attack, kill, torture and intimidate the civilian population. The flow of all kind of terrorists from some neighboring countries is always increasing," Lebedev told the forum.
Asked by Reuters how many foreign fighters were believed to be in Syria, he said: "How many got in through illegal routes? The border there is not demarcated, not delimited, so nobody knows. But at least 15,000."
On Thursday, Kofi Annan, the U.N.-Arab League envoy to Syria, said he would urge Assad and his foes to stop fighting and seek a political solution, drawing angry rebukes from dissidents.
Russia wants a ceasefire by all parties and an inclusive political dialogue. Lebedev told the U.N. meeting criticism of Assad was overdone.
"We urge our partners not to yield to temptation to exaggerate things but to expedite a balanced and professional approach to delivering help to all segments of the Syrian population with no exception," he said.
"Most of the militants are indeed directly or closely affiliated with al Qaeda."
Lebedev told Reuters the information about al Qaeda links in Syria was an "unambiguous fact" but declined to say if Russia would provide the U.N. with evidence to back its allegation Syrian rebels were committing torture.
"All I know is that all the way through (the wars in the Russian region of) Chechnya nobody believed us when we said the Islamic underground, including terrorist organizations, was developing its operations on our soil," he said.
"It's just that five years later there's a recognition that we did everything right."
Lebedev said attempts to force Assad to rein in his troops unilaterally would be counterproductive.
"If we demand that the Syrian government withdraw its forces from the cities without addressing the same call to the opposition we should be ready (to see) that the relevant towns will immediately be occupied by the violent armed groups," he said.
(Reporting by Tom Miles; Editing by Sophie Hares)
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Stretching Leads to Enlargement
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord