Democrats' Fundraising Pays Off: $181 Million Record Haul for Obama
(Photo: REUTERS/Jason Reed)
U.S. President Barack Obama high-fives a young supporter in the audience at the end of a campaign election campaign rally at Kent State University, Ohio, September 26, 2012.
October 7, 2012|11:12 am
Democrats fundraising for President Obama included more than just the staffers from his campaign; Democratic Party affiliates and the Democratic National Convention also helped. The news is good for the incumbent, as his campaign barely surpassed his Republican challenger's with $114 million to Romney's $111 million.
"Last month, we surpassed 10 million donations in 2012 alone. We made history," Jim Messina, Obama's campaign manager, said to supporters in an email while citing the record $181 million fundraising haul. "I don't think I have to tell you how huge that number is."
The campaign managed to break records through the number of first-time donors- 567,044, to be exact- who gave donations that averaged $53. Messina also revealed that Obama, who has thrived off of small donations both in 2008 and 2012, is continuing tradition: 98 percent of contributions to the reelection effort have been $250 and under.
In addition to the latest jobs report, which showed a drop in unemployment from 8.1 to 7.8 percent, the donations are good news for a campaign that had lost momentum following the President's dismal debate performance.
Obama has used the news to re-energize his campaign, saying that America "has come too far to turn back now." Romney, in contrast, said that "it's crystal clear we're in the middle of a jobs crisis."
"My priority is jobs. And from Day one of my presidency, I will lead us out of this crisis," he told supporters in an email.
Mitt Romney and his campaign have yet to release their tally for fundraising in September, but it is likely to be higher than August's, as many voters are just tuning in, and saw a new side of the former governor during last week's debate.
So far, Barack Obama's reelection campaign has fundraised $835 million this election cycle. Although September was a record month for 2012, it was not a record for the incumbent- in September 2008, Obama's team raised $190 million.
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- From Prison to Praise
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’