TD JAKES POWERFUL EULOGY FOR PASTOR ZACHAREY TIMS
In his eulogy for Pastor Zachery Tims on Saturday, mega-church evangelist T.D. Jakes compared the preacher to the biblical Jacob, a man with many problems and defects who was renamed Israel.
The names represented two different sides of the same person, Jakes said, just as "Dr. Tims" was different from "Zach."
Jakes, who pastors a 30,000-member congregation in Dallas, said he knew both Dr. Tims — the charismatic, compassionate spiritual leader who ministered to imperfect people — and Zach, who was an imperfect person himself.
"I thought I was the only one who know how unhappy Zach was, how broken he was, how afraid he was if anybody was to see any flaw in him. He tried hard to heal himself, to fix himself," said Jakes, chief pastor of The Potter's House.
As leader of New Destiny Christian Center in Apopka, Dr. Tims could help others with their problems, but Zach couldn't ask for help himself before he was found dead last Friday in a New York hotel room. Tims' death is under investigation, and the cause has not been determined.
"I don't know what happened in that room in New York, but I can only hope that as Zach was dying, Dr. Tims stood up," Jakes said.
About 5,000 people attended the three-and-a-half-hour funeral service at First Baptist of Orlando. It was a cross between a tribute and a tent revival, with songs, prayers, silence, stories and high-volume preaching. There was more rejoicing than weeping, more laughter than grief.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said he could never tell what to expect when he attended a Sunday service at New Destiny, where Tims once preached a sermon about the war to save souls while dressed in combat camouflage.
Another preacher told the story of accompanying Tims to London, where the pastor was mistaken for the actor Will Smith and chose not to correct the misperception.
First Baptist Pastor David Uth confessed his envy of Tims' preaching style: "I've watched Zachery on TV and I've thought, 'God, why can't I preach like that?' I've actually said a few times, you know sometimes being white just gets in the way."
Jakes said Tims sometimes reminded him of a mischievous child who knew he was too cute to scold.
"Zach had a way of acting like he was your kid," Jakes said. "He would come into your house and go straight for the refrigerator. You couldn't say anything, because he'd bust that big old grin on you."
Evangelist Paula White said the smile was Tims' defining feature.
"He smiled with his eyes. His eyes showed the depth of his soul," said White, pastor of Without Walls International Church in Tampa.
A few weeks before his death, Tims spoke of dying in a sermon, White recalled: "He said, 'If I die — and I don't want to die — I want you to know I am saved and I'm going to heaven."
TIms' ex-wife, Riva Tims, who started New Destiny with him in 1996, commented on his short but productive life.
"Forty-two years may seem young, but in those 42 years he circled the Earth many times. In those 42 years he achieved goals few could imagine," she said. "Let us not forget what he has accomplished."
Dyer, Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs, Orange County Commissioner Tiffany Moore Russell, and U.S Rep. Corrine Brown all praised Tims for his work in the church and the community.
"You have lost a spiritual leader, New Destiny," Jacobs said, "but we all gained an angel."
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Stretching Leads to Enlargement
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- TRUE FREEDOM: A Series on Christian Liberty