Update: Wheaton's Birth Control Mandate Suit Dismissed
Wheaton's Birth Control Mandate Suit Dismissed
CBNNews.com — Mon, 2012-08-27 14:53
A federal judge has dismissed Wheaton College's lawsuit against the Obama administration's health care mandate.
The mandate requires religious groups to provide contraception coverage in their health insurance plans, even if it violates their beliefs.
The judge threw out Wheaton's suit after the government altered an exemption to include the college. That exemption gives religious institutions one year to comply.
The government said it will re-do the mandate to protect religious freedom before the exemption expires.
The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty represented Wheaton in the case
"The government has now re-written the 'safe harbor' guidelines three times in seven months, and is evidently in no hurry to defend the HHS (Health and Human Services) mandate in open court," The Washington Examiner quoted Becket Fund General Counsel Kyle Duncan.
"By moving the goalposts yet again, the government managed to get Wheaton's lawsuit dismissed on purely technical grounds," he said. "This leaves unresolved the question of religious liberty at the heart of the lawsuit."
Currently, there are 24 lawsuits challenging the law's constitutionality.
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Evangelical Leader Notes Wide Support for International Religious Freedom Ambassador as State Department Releases IRF Report Today
- U.S. Policy and Programs in Support of International Religious Freedom
- Christianity Today's Church Law Tax Publications Win Top Awards from the Evangelical Press Association
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Conform to HIS Image
- UPDATED BI-WEEKLY COLUMNS! Read Enjoy
- Is That Appropriate For A Christian Filmmaker? Tyler Perry’s Peeples Glorifies Homosexuality
- Disney Employee Pastor (Cedric Eugene Cuthbert) Downloaded Child Porn at Work
- TV Spots Urge Boy Scout Leaders and Boehner to 'ManUp' to Bullying Obama
- Trunews' Rick Wiles Calls on Alex Jones to Denounce Armed Open Carry March on Washington
- From Prison to Praise
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Unpredictable
- The Sheard Family Debate: Is ‘Hell’ Really A Cuss Word?
- Conservative Leaders Demand Compensation for IRS Discrimination Against Tea Party
- Leslie Pace Reveals Late Brother's Controlling Ways: He Manipulated Me Through ‘The Lord Said’
- Congress Forced to Face Up to the Pain Experienced by Unborn Children
- TRUE FREEDOM, Part 2: Becoming a Freedom Fighter
- EEW President Ministers at Rockingham, NC Conference: 'We Had Such an Awesome Time' (VIDEO)