James Clyburn Breaks With Obama, Says Gay Marriage Should Not Be Left To States
By Max J. Rosenthal
While President Obama gave his personal backing to same-sex marriage last Wednesday, he stopped short of advocating marriage equality for the entire country, saying that the matter should be decided on a state-by-state basis.
"I continue to believe that this is an issue that is going to be worked out at a local level," he told ABC's Robin Roberts.
On Monday, Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), a long-serving congressman and civil rights icon, said that leaving the issue to states was a mistake. "If you consider this a civil right, and I do, I don't think civil rights ought to be left up to a state-by-state approach," he said during an appearance on MSNBC. "I think that we should have a national policy on this. State regulation is one thing, but the granting of the right to the states, I don't think that's a good policy and I have a problem with that."
Clyburn said that even though he disagrees with Obama on legislating gay marriage, he fully supported Obama's decision to come out in favor of equality. Echoing comments made to the Columbia Free-Times on Saturday, Clyburn told MSNBC host Chuck Todd that "I, like the President, have evolved to a point of marriage equality."
He spoke about the influence of his "fundamentalist" Christian upbringing, which he said had kept him from supporting gay marriage while younger.
"I grew up with that indoctrination, and I have grown to the point that I believe we have evolved to marriage equality," he said.
Despite his state-by-state stance, Obama has earned the praise of gay rights activists since the announcement, and was even declared the "first gay president" in a contentious Newsweek cover where he appeared underneath a rainbow-colored halo.
Gospel Music Videos
Music Video Search
- Iranian Filmmaker Alleges Secret Society is Behind Arab Spring Revolutions...Sinister Plan May Lead to World War III
- IRS Attacks on Tea Party Patriots Predicted in Political Thriller 'Patriots of Treason'
- TV BUZZ: Watch Extended Clips of The Pace Sisters on 'Iyanla: Fix My Life'
- LisaRaye McCoy and Bishop Noel Jones Now an Item
- From Obsession To Submission: A Barren Woman’s Journey To Motherhood
- FLASHBACK: Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop; Says ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- She Died Instantly: Why You Should Live Well
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act Introduced in House, Senate
- IRS Subjects Dr. James Dobson and Family Talk Action to Viewpoint Discrimination
- THE SIXTH SENSE
- Kirk Franklin Talks Being Raised on Hip Hop: ‘My Street Name was KID FRESH’
- IRS Harassed Pro-Life Leaders from Pharmacists For Life International
- UGLY FACE OF ABORTION: Convicted Baby Killer Kermit Gosnell Ran ‘House of Horrors’
- RUMOR CONTROL: Kirk Franklin of Saginaw Commits Suicide, Not Kirk Franklin of Gospel
- Congress Receives Irrefutable Evidence of IRS Harassment of Pro-Life Organizations
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard To Kierra’s Manager: ‘Your Attitude Messes Me Up’
- Secretary Kerry to Release Report on International Religious Freedom
- DAILY INSPIRATION: What Has You Worried? Release It To the Lord
- DAILY INSPIRATION: Stretching Leads to Enlargement